Considering the Challenges of Apologetics
David Cook addresses the challenges that changes in cuture and thinking present to us as we do apologetics.
1. THE NEED FOR APOLOGETICS
2. MODEL - PAUL - ACTS 17, COLOSSIANS, GALATIANS
3. CHALLENGES - dynamic, fluid, require critical analysis
4. TRUTH TESTING
- correspondence with reality
5. CHALLENGES TO 19th & 20th CENTURY CHRISTIANITY
- Humanism - man is the measure of all things
- Existentialism - being and will
- Marxism - economic explanation
- Secularism - nothing beyond here and now
6. RESPONSES TO CHALLENGES
- Fallenness of humanity
- Holism of reason, experience and will
- Reductionism to nothing buttery
- Beyond the here and now
- Why so little interest in apologetics?
- How did the Church fail to meet the challenges?
- What can we learn from the failure?
- How can we motivate and enable apologists?
20th & 21st CENTURY CHALLENGES
- what there is - ontology
- how we know - epistemology
- moral relativism - situational
- relativity of truth - subjectivism
- status of the view - contradiction
- counter evidence
- practical responses
- no big picture
- is there really post-modernism?
- stories and history
- limits of tolerance
- collapse of Marxism
- freedom from / to and limits
- rights - cf. freedoms and responsibilities
- subjective / relative
- metamorphoses of Marxism
- successes and limits of Capitalism
- limits of freedom and autonomy
- basis of rights
- responsibilities and duties
- objectivity and universality
- Eastern Religions
- Limits of speech and knowledge
- truth testing
- true and false spiritualities
- speaking of what we don’t know and understand
- apprehension not comprehension
- WHAT ARE THE MAIN CHALLENGES TO CHRISTIANITY TODAY?
- HOW DO WE TO RESPOND TO THEM?
- HOW SHOULD WE RESPOND?
Section III IMPACT OF THE CHALLENGES
1. ON THE CHURCH
- loss of confidence
- anti intellectualism
- retreat from preaching and apologetics
- search for new and old spiritualities
- confusion in social involvement
- political confusion
- social withdrawal
- conformed to the world
2. RESPONSES - NEED FOR CONFIDENCE
- AUTHORITY OF SCRIPTURE
- BALANCED DOCTRINE OF HUMANITY - DUST AND GLORY
- FULL GOSPEL OF CHRIST
- SPIRIT IN PERSPECTIVE
- DOCTRINE OF THE CHURCH
- SALT AND LIGHT